STAINTON CROSS MILL

Text Box: This mill was situated about 20 yards from the canal bank near Bridge End. It was built before the canal and its workers came from the cottages at Stainton Cross. When the canal was built the Canal Company constructed a tunnel under the canal which takes St. Sunday’s Beck and also provided a wide walkway for the workers to use. When the mill was demolished in 1886 the stone was carted under the canal by way of this parapet and used to build two cottages at Stainton Cross.
Text Box: This was always a weaving mill and was run by the Caton family for most of its working life. It was bought from them by Robert Kendal who eventually pulled it down.
Text Box: Right: The tunnel under the canal as it is today.
Text Box: STAINTON, “the stone-built town” 
Text Box: is a place of great antiquity although evidences of its existence in the middle ages are now confined to some place names and a few old records. Later it became the centre of industrial activity with at least six mills operating along St. Sunday’s Beck, all now closed. This accounts for the present sprawling nature of the village that is now bisected by the A65 . Below are some of the facts about the position and purposes of these mills.

History by Audrey Critchlow