HALFPENNY MILL

.This mill was situated a quarter of a mile up Halfpenny Lane opposite Brook House. It was the highest mill in

Stainton with good water power. Below are the recorded names of its owners and details of what the mill produced:

 

 Jos. Cornthwaite & Co. Flax  and Tow Spinners, Linen wrapper and Sacking  Manufacturers.

 

 Wm. Taylor, Bleacher, Half penny Pasture.

 

1849 Taylor & Co., Flax and Tow Spinners & Sacking Manufacturers.

 

 George Gaskell, Manure Mfrs.

 

 North of England Paper and Paper Bag Mfg. Co.

 

1885 H.W.Percy & Co. Mat Mfrs

LOW BRIDGE MILL

This mill was situated at Skettlegill. It was built in 1825 and ran for about forty years making bobbins. The power from the mill continued to be used by Mr Armitage of High House for cutting turnips and other farm work. Since the wheel was removed the building in which it was housed has been used as a store house. The millers are recorded as follows:

 

1829  Matthew and Thos. Gibson, Bobbin Mfrs.

 

1849 John Blackburn, Bobbin    Mfr.

SKETTLEGILL is said to have been an inn at one time.

There is an interesting old coat of arms in the wall of the house.

MILL BRIDGE MILL

This mill was situated on the A65 at the corner of Mill Bridge Lane and was still working in the 1930s. The machinery,- four pairs of stones, a machine for rolling oats and a circular saw, were only removed in the 1970s when it was converted into a house. It had a plentiful supply of water from a large mill pond fed by St. Sunday’s Beck. The millers and their produce were as follows:

 

   Wm. Park, Corn Miller and Maltster

 

   Thos. Hayhurst, Farmer and Maltster.

 

1869-85  Gilbert Hayhurst, Miller and Maltster

 

1894-1905 Marmaduke Frear & Sons, Farmers & Millers

 

Owners recorded since then were Mr Howson followed by Mr Wright Greatrex

History by Audrey Critchlow